TikTok problem warning after woman, 6, swallows 23 magnets leaving her needing life-saving surgical procedure

A six-headed GIRL had to undergo life-saving surgery after swallowing 23 magnets in a TikTok challenge.

The child had a stomach ache and was vomiting for 48 hours as it ripped through his bowels.

The six-year-old girl had to undergo major surgery after swallowing 23 magnets

3

The six-year-old girl had to undergo major surgery after swallowing 23 magnetsPhoto credit: WESSEX NEWS AGENCY
The magnets were stuck in her bowels

3

The magnets were stuck in her bowelsPhoto credit: WESSEX NEWS AGENCY

She consumed them a few days this month in Lewes, East Sussex while following a trend of mimicking tongue piercings.

Mama Tanitha, who found more magnets in her daughter’s room, warned: “It was overwhelming for her. It could have been much worse – there is no permanent damage.

“I want to warn parents of the dangers of their children playing with magnets.

“I want to underline how dangerous these magnets really are.”

The magnets were so strong that they got stuck in her bowels, and doctors found a string of them in her bowels.

She has a four-inch scar from major surgery and was discharged from the hospital on Monday.

Pediatric consultant surgeon Costa Healy, who performed the surgery, said the magnets can cause life-changing injuries and be fatal.

She added, “Most of the time we get there in time to save them, but if I were a parent with these type of magnets in the house I would get rid of them.”

The girl had played with the magnets at school before taking them home to make jewelry for a doll.

Earlier this month, a nine-year-old boy nearly died when he also swallowed magnetic balls for a TikTok challenge.

The boy from Stirling urgently needed an operation. He lost his appendix, small intestine, and 12 inches of colon.

The child is one of many who has swallowed magnets

3

The child is one of many who has swallowed magnets

Comments are closed.