Tiktok fireplace problem places teen in ICU

Click here for updates on this story

PORTLAND, Oregon (KPTV) – A Portland family believe it was a TikTok fire challenge video that explains why their 13-year-old is now in intensive care with severe burns to her neck and arm.

Kimberly Crane is the mother of Destini Crane and said her daughter was shooting a TikTok video in her bathroom when her daughter caught fire.

“It was unreal, heartbreaking,” she said. “I don’t think anyone wants to see their daughter on fire. It was terrible.”

Destini’s sister Andrea said a friend was also there when it happened on May 14th.

“Your friend screamed, she filmed TikToks, she filmed TikToks,” said Andrea.

The TikTok video they think they wanted to imitate shows a man spraying hairspray on the mirror and setting it on fire.

“There was a bottle of alcohol with a lid on the counter and the whole page was broken open and there was a lighter and a broken candle,” Andrea said. “Well, that’s just the conclusion we came to.”

Portland Fire and Rescue responded to the call and are investigating. Fireman Rob Garrison said these challenges put everyone at risk.

“This is perhaps one of the most dangerous things I have ever seen in my life,” he said.

Garrison said when your skin catches fire. It burns within seconds.

“You could stand next to a lake and set yourself on fire if you wanted, and if you hit the water you will likely get burns on your body,” Garrison said.

She has had a tracheotomy since Destini was first admitted to the intensive care unit, and doctors are now in the process of performing skin grafts on her neck and arm. The cranes said they want to warn other parents of the dangers these videos pose and help prevent the same from happening to others.

“Monitor what children see because they can get into dangerous situations without even realizing it,” said Andrea.

Garrison said parents need to have this conversation with their children.

“You’re not just putting yourself in danger; You are putting your whole family and everyone in this building at risk, ”he said.

Please note: this content is subject to a strict local market embargo. If you have the same market as the author of this article, then you are not allowed to use it on any platform.

Comments are closed.