Shreveport man severely burned making an attempt TikTok problem involving hearth

SHREVEPORT, La. (KTAL / KMSS) – A Shreveport man lies in hospital with serious injuries after reportedly trying a TikTok challenge that resulted in third degree burns.

According to the Shreveport police and fire department, this happened on Sunday afternoon in a house on Malcolm Street in the Werner Park neighborhood of Shreveport. Firefighters responded to an 911 call reporting a person on fire and arrived minutes later to find a man with third degree burns on most of his body.

Shreveport Fire Department PIO Clarence Reese said the bathroom of the house where it happened was also damaged by smoke and fire.

SFD: Man trying to stay warm lights fire in house in Allendale

According to the police, there were a child and another adult in the house. The other adult told police the man attempted a TikTok challenge using a flammable liquid. No other injuries were reported.

The man was taken to the incineration department of the Ochsner LSU Health Shreveport in serious condition.

Similar TikTok challenges have seriously hurt others. In May, a 13-year-old Portland girl was left in intensive care due to severe burns and struggled for her life after lighting a candle in her bathroom that caused a bottle of rubbing alcohol to explode. Her family believes they may have tried to follow a popular TikTok “challenge” that involves drawing a design on a mirror with a flammable liquid and then setting it on fire.

It’s not the first TikTok challenge to post a security or property threat.

In December, a 12-year-old was burned in Connecticut while attempting another TikTok challenge known as the “Whoosh Bottle Experiment”. That challenge was to ignite alcohol in a bottle, which creates a small explosion that creates the “whoosh” sound.

While the challenge is based on a scientific experiment that can be safely done with the right precautions, fire safety officers try to warn the public – and parents – that this and challenges like them can lead to serious injury and even death.

In January 2020, fire officials issued a warning after a viral challenge on the popular social media app nearly caused a fire at a Massachusetts high school. That challenge was to partially plug a phone charger into an electrical outlet – and then slide a dime down the wall onto the exposed prongs.

A student at another Massachusetts high school was charged with arson for starting a fire in a similar incident.

Download the ArkLaTexHomepage app to stay up to date with the latest top stories, breaking news, weather, sports and more!

Comments are closed.