How TikTok Has Reworked the Music Trade
Loading Something is loading.
TikTok has become a powerful platform for professionals in the music industry.
Look no further than the Billboard 100 or Spotify Viral 50 to see the app’s impact on popular music over the past year.
Songs that have been out of the mainstream for decades can reappear as TikTok trends, as was the case with Matthew Wilder’s “Break My Stride” and Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams”. In other cases, marketers or artists are deliberately trying to get songs going by picking up on existing TikTok trends or adapting tracks for TikTok’s short video format and hiring creators to promote them.
Artists, record labels, and music distributors have teams dedicated to interacting with the app. And TikTok itself has a full department focused on music operations, music partnerships and artist relationships, and business development.
The platform now regularly hosts live concerts with artists such as Coldplay and Justin Bieber.
Please speak to insider media reporter Dan Whateley and executives at TikTok, Universal Music Group and UnitedMasters about TikTok’s role in the music industry and how social media should have an even bigger impact on popular culture in 2021.
The 30-minute chat is for July 8 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PST. planned, and we want your questions.
Meet our panelists:
Corey Sheridan is Head of Music Partnerships and Content Operations at TikTok US
Celine Joshua is General Manager of Commercial, Content and Artist Strategy at Universal Music Group (UMG).
dave angry is Marketing Director at UnitedMasters.
Topics to be discussed are:
- The strategies artists and record companies use to connect with fans and promote tracks on TikTok.
- How emerging artists use TikTok to build audiences and eventually spread their music outside of the platform.
- What music artists need to know in order to create content on social media.
- How digital concerts on TikTok affect the way consumers and artists think about live events.
- How to use great cultural moments on TikTok.
- What music marketers should know about working with record labels and artists on TikTok.
If you have a question to answer, please fill out this short form.