Premier League, English soccer announce social media boycott

SHUT DOWN

Sports pulse: Athletes from LeBron James to Naomi Osaka respond to the guilty verdict

USA TODAY

Football clubs across England will join forces in early May to boycott social media in response to the ongoing racial abuse that players, coaches and officials are exposed to online.

The football association and the Premier League are among the football organizations that have announced that they will end their use of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram on Friday, April 30, from 3 p.m. CET (10 a.m. CET) to 11:59 p.m. CET (6:59 p.m. CET) . ET) on Monday May 3rd.

According to a joint statement released on Saturday, the boycott shows that “English football is coming together to emphasize the need for social media companies to do more to eradicate online hatred, while also showing the importance of educating people on the battlefield against discrimination highlights “.

The announcement follows social media boycotts from Birmingham, Rangers and Swansea in recent weeks.

In response to the ongoing discriminatory abuse that players and others connected to the game are receiving online, English football will become one from 3:00 p.m. CET on April 30th to 11:59 p.m. CET on Monday May 3rd Unite social media boycott

Full story ➡️ https://t.co/YINlwNb7d0#NoRoomForRacismpic.twitter.com/vp6aVovqIS

– Premier League (@premierleague) April 24, 2021

In February, clubs wrote letters to social media companies asking them to take action against abusive and racist posts online.

“While some progress has been made, we are reiterating those requests today to curb the relentless flow of discriminatory news and ensure that online abuse providers on all platforms have real consequences,” the clubs said.

The announcement includes several statements from various club leaders directing the government and social media companies directly to their lack of regulation, which has resulted in hate players, coaches and officials continuing to be received online.

“As football takes a stand, we urge the UK government to ensure that the Online Safety Act puts in place tough laws to make social media companies more accountable for what happens on their platforms, like this was discussed at the DCMS Online Abuse Roundtable earlier this week. “

English football will team up in a social media boycott from 3pm on Friday April 30th to 11:59pm on Monday May 3rd in response to the ongoing and ongoing discriminatory abuse faced by the player and many others related to soccer on the internet. # EFLhttps: //t.co. / 4nmS4wjbjm

– EFL Communications (@EFL_Comms) April 24, 2021

Richard Masters, Chief Executive of the Premier League said: “Racist behavior of any kind is unacceptable and the appalling abuse that players receive on social media platforms must not continue.”

Trevor Birch, Chairman of the EFL, said: “The EFL clubs have expressed a clear desire to stand together against horrific racist, discriminatory and threatened abuse on social media platforms that we share with the rest of the football family wholeheartedly support.”

“The boycott is only part of the work being done in this area, but it underscores the need for social media companies to take additional responsibility for the inappropriate and undesirable behavior that occurs on their platforms.”

Contact Analis Bailey at aabailey@usatoday.com or on Twitter @analisbailey.

Automatic playback

Show thumbnails

Show subtitles

Last slideNext slide

Comments are closed.