NYC dad and mom blast belated TikTok faculty taking pictures risk warning
The city’s parents said the Department of Education should have warned them earlier of a threat of TikTok shootings – and that the late announcement left no time to keep their children home on Friday.
The Chancellor of the New York Schools, Meisha Porter, sent a note to the school principals about the unspecified threats on Thursday evening at 11 p.m., according to the DOE.
Administrators were then responsible for relaying the warning to parents – and many families said they didn’t receive a message until Friday morning after their children had already gone to class.
Community Education Council 30 member Deborah Alexander said parents in her Queens district were notified too late to potentially keep their children out of class, given the troubling contributions.
Alexander said the threats were making the rounds on social media as early as Thursday.
New York Schools Chancellor Meisha Ross Porter sent a note to school principals Thursday night regarding the TikTok threat.AP
“It would have been nice if the DOE had mailed something much earlier so the parents actually had some time to make a decision,” she said.
Alexander said most people hadn’t heard from their schools by morning – and that some had already dropped their children when they were alerted.
“I think a lot of parents would have preferred this option,” she said. “Making that decision while getting ready for work in the morning is a problem.”
Alexander noted that a Long Island City school – the New York Institute for Collaborative Education – had to be closed for an hour on Friday due to a convened threat.
A “Shoot Up Your School Day” challenge was circulating on TikTok that alerted school officials and parents. Tick tock
A parent at a Brooklyn high school said she received a message on the TikTok posts around 7 a.m. on Friday.
“If that had happened the day before, we should have been told much earlier,” she said. “As if there wasn’t enough reason to worry right now.”
The DOE said it acted in a timely manner given the unspecified nature of the threats and the lack of a direct link to New York.
“We sent letters on social media about general and unspecific threats to schools as soon as we had credible information,” said DOE spokesman Nathaniel Styer. “This was a general threat that circulated nationwide and was not specific to NYC, and schools were relaying this information to families in a timely manner and without delay.”