Donald Trump’s new social media platform might be topic to rules his supporters will not tolerate

Donald Trump, who has remained relatively unremarkable since his failed January coup and acquittal last month, is reportedly planning a large-scale return to social media.

Jason Miller, an adviser to Trump, said the former US president plans to open his own platform in the next few months, which has been permanently or temporarily banned by all major social media companies after the uprising in Capitol Hill.

“I think we’ll see President Trump return to social media with his own platform in about two or three months,” Miller told Fox News on Sunday.

“This is something that I think will be the hottest ticket on social media. It will completely redefine the game and everyone will wait and see what exactly President Trump does, but it will be their own platform . “

Mr. Trump had held “high profile meetings” at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida and was approached by “numerous companies” about the transaction, Mr. Miller said.

“This new platform will be big,” he added, predicting that Mr. Trump will attract “tens of millions of people”.

Continue reading

As Donald Trump and his supporters flee to social networks, Big Tech must learn from its mistakes

Mr Trump first came up with the idea of ​​creating his own social media platform after Twitter “permanently blocked” his personal account @realDonaldTrump in January.

The 74-year-old appeared to log into the official Twitter account of the President of the United States to accuse the company of collaborating with “the Democrats and the radical left” to silence him, ban free speech and one Promote “radical left platform” where some of them are represented. The most vicious people in the world are allowed to speak freely. “

“We have been negotiating with various other websites and will receive an announcement shortly. At the same time, we are examining the possibilities of building our own platform in the near future,” he said in tweets that were quickly removed.

While Mr Trump’s promise to make a social media comeback is likely to go down well with certain factions of his supporters, it’s unlikely to convince others.

Its supporters are spread across online forums, encrypted messaging apps, corners of popular social giants like Facebook and Twitter, smaller fringe platforms like MeWe, Zello, Rumble and Wimkin, and dedicated right-wing alternative networks like Parler and Gab.

While Parler is back online, there was no return to the Apple App Store (Photo: AP).

If the former president wants to bring tens of millions of users together on a single platform, he will probably want to launch an app that can be downloaded from the Apple App Store for iPhones and iPads as well as the Google Play Store for devices with the Android operating system.

Both Apple and Google suspended Parler from their respective app stores in January. You have indicated that police officers inciting violence and lawlessness are not available and the app is not available for download.

At the same time, Amazon has withdrawn its web hosting services from the Parler website. Although the site has now found a new host and is back online, Apple has reportedly refused to roll back the Parler app to its own service of hateful, racist, discriminatory content on the App Store, ”said Bloomberg.

Continue reading

Donald Trump supporters are flocking to alternative social media sites over claims of “censorship and deplatforming”.

Mr Trump’s supporters have repeatedly urged him to join the right-wing Twitter alternative Gab, which has reserved an account for the former president under the name @realdonaldtrump since it was founded five years ago.

However, Andrew Torba, Gab’s chief executive officer, has alleged that Jared Kushner, Mr Trump’s son-in-law, advised him not to join him.

“We will record that we know 100% that Jared Kushner is actively trying to keep Trump away from Gab and has been for weeks,” Torba said last month. “Because Gab is the only safe place for Conservatives, it means that Kushner is trying to keep Trump off the internet.”

While Mr Torba claimed that Gab’s membership has increased from around 1 million users 11 months ago to 4 million since last month, it is still not possible to download it from any of the major app stores. Gab was recently hacked. The results showed significant security flaws and hundreds of accounts were owned by bots.

Given the huge amount of interest that Mr Trump’s new network is likely to attract, mainstream tech companies will be careful to avoid a repeat of the Capitol Hill uprising that was organized on the mainstream networks in sight.

As a result, any app or website he creates that relies on traditional web hosting, server farm, bandwidth provider, potential payment processor, or distribution method is subject to much stricter regulation than is acceptable to many of Mr Trump’s supporters, many of whom claim they do left Facebook and Twitter because of censorship.

While Donald Trump may be trying to build his own digital megaphone to resume direct communication with his online followers, it is unlikely that a platform created for the tens of millions of supporters of Mr Miller will attract the unregulated Offer freedoms that its users will demand of it

At a time when major technology platforms and infrastructure providers are more anxious than ever to distance themselves from accusations of accommodating hate speech, Mr Trump’s network could be doomed before it even goes live.

Comments are closed.